Saturday 15 July 2017

Day 58 - Sault Ste. Marie to Iron Bridge

When I woke up in the morning of my departure, my tarp had taken on a lot of water but at least I had a tarp. After camping in the rain for quite some time I've made a pretty good system to make sure my tent stays dry at night. There was a break in the rain and I packed up my gear as quick as I could because the clouds looked particularly dubious this morning.

I waited and slowly pack my gear under the cover of the bike shop because just as I finished packing my stuff, it started raining buckets--like really. It was like a solid sheet of water pouring down from the sky...

I decided to make a few changes on my heavy bike setup. I threw away my bag of coffee and decided that I would use instant coffee from now on and drop off my Aeropress in Montreal. I also ate the rest of my olives and pickles (glass jars) and threw away my regular oatmeal because I didn't use the oatmeal that much anyway; instead, I got instant oatmeal which would only dirty one dish instead of two.

I cycled through the day in the rain, it wasn't the best in terms of cycling conditions, but I made do. I just slugged away and stopped to dry off for a "little" while to eat lunch midday, but never really left. I stayed there at the restaurant for about 2 hours and then continued on to a place called Iron Bridge. Greg and Antonio who owned the Iron Bridge Motel are cyclists themselves and offered me a bit of a deal. I was happy to find the motel and they shared stories with me as well as some of their wine. Thanks for your kindness talk to you again!

The weather wasn't letting up, but at least I was dry and with friends after cycling 115 km in the rain.

Rainy doesn't mean less beautiful
Powerful (and true)
Typical stretch except way more shoulder than I'd get later
Flowers...
 
Fields
More and more of these older buildings as I head east
Detour to see the great lake (the highway is a little off the lake) 
Lunch
Tracks
Menonites Crossing
Typical side streets
Thought the tree looked cool
Field

Edit: more off road riding
Near Iron Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment