Sunday 2 July 2017

Day 44 - Kenora to wild camp south of Nester Falls

Okay South it is.

After philandering for a while, I eventually decided to go with my original plan even though the Eastern route seemed like a more direct route and it was going to rain. I just kept on asking people and the same answers came out. People said that the Eastern route was covered with trucks and wasn't so beautiful while the southern route had quite a bit of nature, less trucks, and I would get a chance to see more of the Lake of the Woods which I was really interested in.

I headed south and for most of the day it didn't rain, but when it did start it was steady and worsening.On a positive note, the land was really beautiful and I passed some really nice small settlements including Sioux Narrows and Nestor Falls. At around 7 p.m. the light rain which had been going for some time started to become heavier and I was caught in a downpour. All of my gear got wet. Fortunately my clothes and other stuff and dry sacks didn't get too wet, but a lot of my stuff was soggy. I decided at around sundown when it was getting quite dark that I needed to stop for the night before it was too dark to set up-- besides, the rain had stopped for a little while. I ended up pulling off of the road into a small driveway which hadn't been used in a long time and there was a little grassy field where I set up camp.

I realized something, mosquitoes love resting in the grass and in the trees, so every step that I made attractied a bigger cloud of mosquitoes around me and felt like the apocalypse. I had a difficult rest that night first of all because of the mosquitoes, but also because of the rain. Oh the rain... It was relentless. I found everything I own was damp.

On this day I traveled 150 km, so I was tired and did mange to get some sleep despite the unfavorable conditions. Anyway, I slept , originally planning on sleeping just a few hours and waking up at 4 a.m., but once I fell asleep less worried about bears and other wildlife, it was hard to wake up.

The next day was going to be a big one...

Saying goodbye to the campsite
There's a storm a'brewin'
Canadian shield typical scene. Hill with blasted rocks
Lake of the woods
Marshlands
Famous for its bridge
This bridge
Delicious lunch on a rainy day
Stop here if you're ever in the area
Beautiful Ontario in the rain
Lake
Nester "falls" Better watch out... Its a big drop...
Marshy...
Edit: cant forget this picture of my bike in a bed of flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment