Sunday 2 July 2017

Day 38 - Regina to Grenfell, SK

I woke up early in the morning because I wanted to get as far as I could before the weather changed and I was in the rain again.

First I was riding my bike down one of the main trails to get back onto the number 1 Highway and my cousin Amy passed me! I was super excited to see her as she drove on her way to work. For some reason, though, I was having trouble with my odometer. I'd gone around 10 km but it wasn't registering my speed or distance. I decided to deal with this problem when I got to Tim Hortons.

So I get to Tim Hortons and eat my breakfast and try to adjust my odometer but it wasn't simple problem to fix. Before I knew it I was looking up how to fix it through the instruction manual and in the process I accidentally reset my odometer. I ended up going to London Drugs to buy a new battery. Fortunately I know how far I had gone up until this point:

I had ridden 2500 kilometers. After passing the Rocky Mountains I did at least 14000 m of altitude gain. My top speed was 71.2 kilometers per hour.

The wind was really gusting and eventually the wind brought the clouds in and it became rainy. I was riding in the in the wind and the rain for what felt like hours. It was starting to get dark and I passed a very small town called Grenfell, Saskatchewan.  There was a small motel and something drew me to it. I decided to go inside to see if they will give me a good price. Normally I wouldn't expect to be able to stay in a motel because my budget can't really afford it under normal circumstances, but it had been raining all night and day, and I felt like I needed a little bit of respite from the wind, cold and rain. To my surprise when I began to chat with the owner of the motel I discovered that they were a family from South Korea where I used to live teaching English. I explained my situation and his wife opened the sliding door and offered me a good price to stay the night. I will be forever thankful for their kindness. In addition to this, she offered me one of my favorite Korean dishes called ddakbokeumtang. I was really happy that I could stay the night in Grenfell  Saskatchewan.

In total I cycled 140k

Dubious Weather
And so they named the town "Indian Head" for all the native people buried there
Bottomless coffee in Indian HeadThank you!
Delicious
My room
(Next day) This was my hotel. 
edit: Very Green

No comments:

Post a Comment