Tuesday 4 July 2017

Day 46 - Through the night and into Thunder Bay

After trying to sleep for two hours lying down next to my bicycle on the picnic bench, I eventually decided to move on. Fortunately there was a Robin's Donuts just in town about three kilometers away, so I wrote there and had a big breakfast and coffee. By the time I finished eating, it was almost dawn and all the little bumps on my legs face arms hands were itching for adventure! I rode out from Atikokan with a smile on my face, circles under my eyes and a grizzled complexion.  Forward I went, knowing that there were no amenities for the next 150 km.

I rode my bike through the day and eventually made it to the junction where I gladly ate a hamburger and milkshake, but I'm actually glossing over like 8 hours of cycling. There were no shops for that distance.  Nothing at all except marshland and lakes. Wild country...

Anyway, I continued on through the outskirts of Thunder Bay to a place called Kakabeka Falls. They were really beautiful! 

A word for people thinking about going through Thunder Bay: it's a lot bigger than it seems. I had a great time going through the outskirts to where my host Allen was, but at around Kakabeka Falls I was running on empty. I stopped at a gas station to fuel up on some food and another coffee to get me through the last push. I arrived at Allen's house and he took good care of me while I was there. I was so happy to have found a host.

Dubious Clouds as usual
Oh wow...
Common sight. Where's the moose? 
Wow, Thunder Bay already?
The falls
Some tracks near Thunder Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment