Tuesday 18 July 2017

Day 52 - Terrace Bay to Marathon

I woke up in Terrace Bay and continued on my trip through the Northern Shore of Lake Superior. Today was a very straightforward day because really there wasn't a lot in between the two destinations--not to say that it wasn't beautiful because it was. I rode my bike through the Rolling Hills and made my way through increasingly steep ascents and descents. Some of the hills had truly magnificent views. The hills were a littke tough,  but fortunately the weather was beautiful and I was in good spirits. I used any opportunity I could to get food because shops were so sparse and I was so hungry. At the end of the day when the clouds came rushing in, I was already almost at Marathon.

Marathon isn't on the highway. It is about 3 kilometers downhill from there, and there's a really nice private campground. I recommend taking the time to see this little town.

Anyway, by the time I was getting close to the campground I could see the dark clouds and thunder showers coming close and I assumed that it would rain very soon.

I arrived to the campsite just as it was raining buckets and set up my tent under a covered area. Earlier in the day when I was eating my breakfast in Terrace Bay, I met another cycle tourist and he said that he might be in Marathon as well. Just as I was setting up my tent for the night, I saw him passing by and invited him to join me for a coffee. We had a chance to chat for a while and then the mosquitoes came in force. Right at dusk there was a great sunset, and I felt grateful to be on this trip. I was awed by the beauty surrounding me.

On the road again
Canadian Shield-- better enjoy while I can
Random lake
Just another morning cycle in beautiful country
Flowers dotting the landscape
Reflection
Campgrounds
Little Lake
Long shadow selfie
Beautiful greens
Aren't sunsets after storms the best?
Salmon clouds

No comments:

Post a Comment