Tuesday 18 July 2017

Day 54 - White River to Lake Superior National Park

Waking up in White River, I said goodbye and continued on my journey. Originally, I planned on stopping in Wawa, but the day was going so well that I ended up staying in Lake Superior National Park. 

Most of the day was uneventful, but I ended up meeting Russell the Australian who fixed my bike in Wawa after not seeing him for a while. Russell was the guy who fixed my bike in the middle of nowhere. We shared some stories and I ate some food in Wawa and then continued on to the National Park, but a word of warning.... right now there is so much construction going on in that area that it's difficult as a cyclist to get through. I went through one of the worst construction gauntlets that I had ever experienced in my life most of the road was chewed up and ready for a new a new layer of asphalt, but there was a section where everything had been ripped up and I was sliding my way through loose gravel with a group of cars waiting to get by and then later on with trucks and cars passing me. Not only was this a tiring moment for me, but it was dangerous as well because the gravel was so loose that it was hard to stay on my bike.

I successfully crossed the construction gauntlet and continued on my trip. It was starting to rain quite a bit and I considered wild camping again in the National Park, but just as I stopped to eat some food, I encountered some of my many friends: I was swarmed by mosquitoes and black flies. In addition I took a closer look at the gravel beside me and there were fresh black bear paw prints. I decided it was better to just cough up the money to stay in the park, so that's what I did.

Today was a long day and I managed to ride a good 150 kilometers. I should be in Sault Ste Marie within the next couple of days.

Flowers are out.. Is it spring? Sure doesn't feel like summer... 
Flowers
Beautiful
Love the clouds....
Forgot to mention the random heavy downpour 
Love
My camp for the night
Sign
Rabbit lake
Edit: Wawawawa
Edit: National park :)

No comments:

Post a Comment