Sunday 2 July 2017

Day 42 - Winnipeg to Falcon Lake

I woke up in the morning and said goodbye to Tim and Loree. It was a sunny day and the winds were blowing to the east. On the trip,  I took the number one highway through Winnipeg and passed the legislative buildings where I played ukulele on the lawn for a little bit before continuing on. I play the ukulele whenever I get thenchance, but sometimes I don't feel like I have enough time for much more than cycling and eating.

Speaking of food, *wink* *wink*, I don't know what it is but they have a lot of really good donut shops in Winnipeg. I got my fill with a Coffee Crisp flavored donut and a coffee, and carried on. Later, I was on the outskirts of the city near where the national mint is when suddenly a cyclist rolled up next to me and said, "Hey you're going across the country?" We began talking for awhile and to my surprise he invited me to the bine shop where he works at near the Eastern limits of Winnipeg. I went along with him and he treated me to a coffee. We talked about the route from Winnipeg to Falcon Lake and I didn't feel confident that I would be able to get to Falcon Lake by the end of the day, so I didn't follow his advice which was to stay off the number one due to construction--bad choice.

My bike was fine and that was good news because I had had so many problems with my spokes beforehand. I was really pleased to see that my bike was in good running order for the next leg. Finally, after some time I went along on my route headed towards Falcon Lake. In the end I went around 160 km. As usual, once I was on the road, I found out that I had more energy and the conditions were better than I had expected. In this case there was one exception the road was under construction and I had to deal with all of the trucks and cars in a single lane highway with very little shoulder for 40 kilometers. I've never gone through such a stretch in my life where I had to keep complete concentration on my surroundings at all times to avoid problems like I did going through this construction stretch. It wasn't very fun. Also, exiting Manitoba I started to become acquainted with the different horse flies, black flies, and mosquitoes that Western Ontario is known for. There weren't many out yet, but I would get to know them even more soon.

I arrived at Falcon Lake an hour or two before sunset and a couple told me that I would probably be able to camp for free, so after eating in the local restaurant that's exactly what I did. I went to sleep under the stars planning to wake up early in the morning before anyone came to the campsite. Falcon Lake truly is a beautiful place.


Goodbye Winnipeg
Legislation Building
Another Angle
Keeping things Riel
Couldn't wait for the picture before taking a bite
Bridge
Leaving town
The mint
Beautiful Day
Just look at that grass
Clouds
Rollin'
My Camp
Sunset on Falcon Lake
Sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment