Sunday 25 June 2017

Day 27 - Medicine Hat to Maple Creek

So there I was in the ditch. The weather cooled down and I felt drops. In my exhaustion all I did was take the bags off my bike and put a cover over to protect against dew.
As for me, I was in the ditch in my sleeping bag. Predicting the next step, I wrapped myself in a tarp and decided to wait it out.

It began to rain and I heard a PING sound next to me.... Another spoke ? Yes, 4th on this trip.

I tossed and turned ( read: writhed around in the ditch ) until dawn and then headed into town with the broken wheel, soaked in the rain. It was nice to find a place for breakfast and dry off.

A little later I fixed my spoke and then looked for the bike shop, but it opened at 11 and didn't have a technician. In the end I rode my bike as-is with the repair I did myself, and at 12pm started out to Maple Creek.

I was sleepy, but the beautiful hills beside me and sustained  incline in front of me kept me awake and loving the road.

Today was the day that I crossed over into Saskatchewan and was very close to my relatives in Moosejaw, but it was farther than I thought....

I've said this to several people and seen other cyclists say this over and and over, but I'll say it again: whoever said that the prairies are flat lied because they definitely aren't.

If they were to say that they are windy...  well that would be more to the point.

A relative from Maple Creek found me at the campsite where I was  staying. I had just finished my 100k and had eaten a burger and a beer for 11 dollars. Not bad eh?

In the end she took me to Maple Creek to shower and I fell asleep feeling refreshed.

The winds were rustling....

Very wet. I was soaked!
Fixing my bike...
Biggest teepee in the world. Weather changed didn't it?
Say goodbye to the hat...
Where oh where have the Buffalo gone
Open fields

New province
Peek-a-boo!
Tracks
Almost time to call it quits

Edit: king of the hill
Edit: Red truck

4 comments:

  1. I gained new knowledge from well written content of this blog. It is showing some different kind of strategy to keep work better and improve with every new assignment. Gracefully written bloghelionof z

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete