Monday 5 June 2017

Day 19 - Cranbrook to Windimere ( Just outside of Radium Hotsprings)

I woke up in the work shed which Doug and Angela kindly let me sleep in. It was great and I felt  refreshed. We exchanged a few more stories over a delicious breakfast of eggs and perogies and they showed me their bikes, horses and the house they are going to build.

I said goodbye earlier than I normally set out for the day with a full stomach and thirst for adventure.

The trail to Kimberly was much the same as the previous day and after arriving, I spent most of my morning at the local cafe eating pastries and drinking coffee.

While I was  there , I met a family who offered to host me in Saskatchewan after Regina if I need.

Thank you to everyone for your advice, donations, help and support on this trip. Every time someone offers me 5, 10, 20 bucks for food or let's me stay it helps so much because I have a limited budget to get across the country and back.

Anyway, I took the newly paved asphalt road and it took me right down from Kimberly into a kind of a  valley.

The whole day cycling in the valley moving north towards radium hot springs was great--overflowing rivers, smooth pavement and the occasional car or deer--with my oiled bike, I slid down the road.

Eventually at around the 90km mark I finally made it to canal flats, it's claim to fame being that it is the source of the Columbia river. I tried to find a nice place to enjoy lunch, but I couldn't seem to find the town, only the welcome sign and a restaurant. Before I knew it I was out of the "town", so I stopped my bike on the side of the road and enjoyed my sandwich, cinnamon bun and coffee.

Continuing on, I finally made it past Fairmont Hotsprings (beautiful area!) and arrived at my friend Farrah's Parents' house. I stayed with her dad and sisterd, resting up after 140km on the day, and about 400km in the previous 3 days. The push was hard and I thought it was time for some R&R....

By the way, I haven't mentioned it yet, but I'm about 1300km in the trip so far.

This last stretch of BC was a beauty as I prepared to enter Alberta.

Thank you!
Beautiful trails
Well-placed bench
Another nicely-placed bench
Kimberly's Main Street
Follow the river!
Flat (not a bad thing)
Passing Canal Flats...

Fairmont Hotsprings
Approaching dusk 
Almost there

Beautiful Sights
Aquamarine lake.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment