Saturday 5 August 2017

Day 79 - Lac Temiscouata QC to Perth-Andover NB

The previous night, I cycled late into the night in order to reach a lake close to the NB/QC border called Lac Temiscouata. I woke up at my camp which was an ideal place to make some headway into New Brunswick.
I felt a little tired, but it was such a beautiful morning that it was hard not to feel rejuvenated by it. I made oatmeal and coffee and continued along the lake shore.
After getting to a town later in the morning I saw an email from Victoria Hospice. They had previously explained about a gentleman by the name of Ian Bos who walked across Canada to raise awareness for palliative care before, and now they were asking if I would consider ending in his hometown, New Glasgow as an option...

Now I had been considering the difficulty of the Sidney ferry and lack of easy access to the island before and so I said I would think about  it. Even as I sent the message, I already knew the answer in my heart.

Although I had vested interest in getting to Newfoundland to check it off of my bucketlist, the idea of two hospices reaching out across Canada in order to improve awareness is something worth more than either Ian's or my story.
The trip until this point had been a very personal one, but this was my chance to make a difference for a good cause and still achieve my goal to cross the country too.

The new plan became to cycle around the Bay of Fundy before finally crossing over to PEI and taking the ferry to New Glasgow to officially end there...
After a few days, I would go down to Halifax by  bike, making it to the train station for the trip home.

This decided, I continued along cycling through the night until 2 or 3 am in the morning. In the middle of the night, I pulled off of the highway and set up a simple camp at an information booth in a place called Perth-Andover.

I cycled 165km today.

My camp
Nice path
Morning on the water
Someone else is camping too
Along the water
 
Almost in NB
End of the trail
Welcome to NB
Along the path
The road
Approaching Dusk
Graveyard
Sunset
Barn in NB
Final glow

No comments:

Post a Comment