Saturday 5 August 2017

Days 74 to 76 - Exploring Quebec City

As I said before from the morning of the 74th day of my trip, I made it to the old downtown Quebec City which was stunningly beautiful. It has a kind of European charm to it and I really enjoyed the different angles and the way that the city appears to be layered into different levels of time and space. As a tourist I could walk right up onto the walls and explore the alleyways of the city which was textured by different eras of its past. Some of the buildings we're really old-- from the very beginning of the city's history, while others were more modern. There were cobblestone roads and modern paved roads next to each other and the whole town had a kind of charm to it. The battlements still had replicas of the cannons which were used to defend the city against repeated attacks from the British and people were enjoying the museum-like feel all around the city.

Actually, if I could say anything negative about the city at all, it would just be that there's a lot of tourists; however, with such a beautiful city I suppose there's no avoiding that. Victoria is just the same in that respect. Maybe I only felt a little off because of how romantic the city was and seeing so many couples and families walking around also made me pine for romance in my own life. Whatever the reason, Quebec city would definitely be a great place to share with a loved one.

Quebec City certainly is a beautiful place. I enjoyed day 74 and then spent the afternoon in the city as well on day 75, covering places that I didn't visit on the first day. On day 76, I talked to Jaques again and decided that I would take him up on his offer to stay at a beautiful lake north of the city called Lac St. Charles. I was really happy I did. Not only did I get a chance to meet his son who is in university to be a French teacher in the public school system, but I had a chance to go swimming in the lake and go into the hot tub to relax my muscles a little bit for cycling out of town on the next day. My time in Quebec City was great. Now, I was really looking forward to the trip starting again.

Quebec City
Old and new
A city of many layers
And history
On top of the walls

The campus where I slept
Cannons everywhere
Cannon
Cannon, cannon
Busy street
Haha, I want one
Some of the oldest buildings
Walking around the fort
Walking around
Tressle over the city
On my way to the lake
Nice blue sky
The lake
Pretty lucky to be here!

edit: Can't forget a picture of the castle!

No comments:

Post a Comment