Thursday 3 August 2017

Day 59 / 60 - 300k Marathon from Iron Bridge through Manitulan Island and onto the Bruce Peninsula

Note: Due to a problem in my app for posting, I lost the previous post I did about this day, so anything that I write will probably be rushed in comparison to the original... sorry.

I woke up in Iron Bridge and had a delicious omlette in Antonio's restaurant at the inn for breakfast. The rain was falling and it didn't seem to be letting up, so after waiting, I decided to start on my journey for the day anyway. Reflecting back on this day, I think about how trips like this can challenge us in ways that we can't even imagine. The ability to challenge ourselves is a real blessing because it gives us an opportunity to grow and change to be better person. Maybe its a part of my personality, but challenges which I've chosen to embark on have been some of my fondest memories in life and this day was no different. I can't say that I enjoyed every moment of cycling 305 kilometers through the rain, but there's something catharctic in the process of letting go and just seeing how far you're able to push yourself.

. I rode my bike through the day and there so many beautiful sites despite the weather. when I reached Espanola it was dark and I made the decision to keep on going to words the ferry on the southern tip of Manitoulin Island. the night was peaceful except for the fog and rain and the odd car which I could hear from miles away. Everything went well until around 2 or 3 am when a heavy rainstorm came through and I had to take cover under the eaves of a building. After that I continued on and made it to the ferry terminal at around 9 a.m. I couldn't wait to rest my feet and take my wet socks off because I had been wearing wet clothes for the last over the last 24 hours. Originally my plan was to find a hotel or motel on the Bruce Peninsula and just rest for the day to recuperate, but when I arrived on the other side there wasn't really much there. I kept on going and around Lions Head, I decided to stop at the information center and ask if there was a place nearby where I could stay. They made some calls and found a bed and breakfast in Pike Bay and that's where I went it was another 40 minutes or so all cycling from Information Center. The people at the bed and breakfast were nice and I even played some music with them but the whole time cycling had exhausted me there were some times that I was almost blacking out on my trip.

I'm really thankful to have the opportunity to do something like this where to can challenge myself in this way and do something good at the same time.

In the end, I cycled 305km in the rain, sometimes in hilly territory, all the time wearing wet clothes. It was truly a test of my perseverance.

Next stop: Penatanguishine

I like the footnote... 
Bridge
Nice house
Look at the texture in the clouds
Old house at dusk...
Through the night
Night Totem on the Island
Good Morning Sunshine...
Ferry
Top notch security on the ferry
Tip: if you want some time alone, do this in the cafeteria on the ferry. (Just joking, I spent the whole time talking with people barefoot in the cafeteria)
On Bruce Peninsula
Fields of Ontario
Almost there
Sleeep! By the way, my helmet used to be a deep red...

No comments:

Post a Comment