Sunday 9 September 2018

Day 89 - Brackley Beach, PEI to New Glasgow, NS

In order to make it in time for my official police motorcade and welcoming reception at New Glasgow, I had to arrive today on day 89 of my trip. It was definitely a rough cycle in the rain and it was a reflective day for me too. Rain has been my constant friend on this trip and again I got a big helping of it. I woke up and packed my bags and then left the hostel at around 10 a.m. I went for lunch with my new friends at 11:30 in Charlottetown and then said goodbye just as the rain was getting really bad. I somehow made the 6 p.m. ferry after riding through the day in really rainy conditions. I actually almost missed it, but in the end I rolled on the ferry just as it was about to leave! 

While I was on the boat, I randomly met someone named Philip who was a nurse working for the palliative care unit I was going to visit. On the other side of the ferry I got a ride from Ian Bos who kindly hosted me and shared his own story with me from the time when he walked across Canada for Hospice. After nearly three months travelling across the country I felt both energized and exhausted in some perplexing sort of way. I was very thankful to receive the kind care of everyone in New Glasgow. It was hard to fathom that my journey was finally coming to a close. This was a really personal trip for me, but at the same time there's some meaning behind the journey and I feel that if my presence succeeds in raising awareness for palliative care as well, it is just that much better. It was so exciting to imagine that my "official" journey would be coming to an end tomorrow. 

The following are a few more pictures from my friends Leonardo, Keisuke and Takumi who spent time with me on PEI :) 








And now for the continuation of my adventure... 

LEAVING THE HOSTEL
 The roads from the hostel are somewhat more ominous than I remember from yesterday...
 Made it to this historic city...
 Beautiful trails through the city...
 Treating myself to a delicious lunch
 another angle... 
 Here's the place where I said my farewell! It was nice to meet all of you and I hope you visit me again 
 Saying goodbye to my friends
 Getting creative in the rain while unlocking my bike 


Left to right - Takumi, Keisuke, Leonardo
It was great to meet all of you!

 Looking back on Charlottetown. I have a ferry to catch!
 Its not foggy... just the rain was so heavy I could barely see ahead of myself...
 This part of the trip was a blur for me... 

 The rain dies down and I can see more of the fields... 
 Beautiful fields of PEI
 And another ...
 And another... 
 This lake was quite close to the ferries.. 
 As I approach the ferry terminal up the road... 
 And say goodbye to this beautiful place... 
 Where the fields are magical... 
 And then... 
 I just made it onto the ferry. 
On the ferry to New Glasgow, NS

No comments:

Post a Comment