Thursday 25 May 2017

Day 7 - Princeton to the 3 Lakes Region

I started on the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway) which is part of the Trans Canada Trail in the late morning. It was a little rocky and sandy but the first 20km between Princeton and the 3 lakes region was ridable.

My brother suggested that I try it and I thought of all sorts of jokes to tell him about the rocky surface of the trail-- but it was certainly beautiful--especially at the top looking down into the valley. Around the first tressle, the condition became worse.

With my 60kgs of gear, soft sand and melon sized ankle-busters interdespersed between the  sand, I was going 7km an hour and crashing in an unnavigable mess when things were bad

ATVs and dirt bikes have been sharing the trail and unfortunately it's just not meant for a bike like mine in that section of the trail.

I had injured myself, lost some things and broken one one of the clips for my saddle bags. To top it all off, I also had a bungee wrap itself around my rear sprocket and I had to cut it with a knife.

Carrying half of the gear on my back, I went to the main road via a logging road and then somehow made it to Osprey Lake.

Lake Osprey is half way between Princeton and Summersville but there's no potable water, but there were a few people there and I really enjoyed my time-- even jumped into the water!

Despite the difficulty of the trail it was a nice result!

Famous local bakery in Princeton
Brunch
KVR in Princeton -- Deceptively paved
beautiful grasslands just out of town
Getting rockier
Great area
Side mirror selfie
I'm the only person for miles 
Lunch
At the top where the trail starts getting bad. 
Very beautiful
Ironically the area its referring to wasnt so bad-- it gets worse
Like quicksand on my bike
b
Made it to the 1st tressle before asking some dirtbikers how to get down
Made it
Needs repair
Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment